Fleetwood Town 2 – 2 Scunthorpe United

Fleetwood Town twice took the lead against Scunthorpe but were pegged back by Scunthorpe to earn a point each at Highbury Stadium.

Jamie Proctor opened the scoring inside three minutes heading home from Nick Haughton’s free kick and Josh Morris also scored a bending effort in the second half for the Cod Army.

Scunthorpe equalised twice though through a right-footed drive from Gary McSheffrey and a fizzing strike from George Evans moments after Fleetwood’s second goal.

The Cod Army started brightly with the attacking trio of Proctor, Haughton and David Ball working well for the team in red and white.

The trio linked up to create a superb chance for Gareth Evans, when Proctor laid the ball across to him inside the penalty area, but the Fleetwood number seven’s low shot across the goal was well parried by Luke Daniels.

Scunthorpe fought back into the game and on 15 minutes McSheffrey saw his left-footed strike from inside the area saved by the onrushing Craig Maxwell.

At the other end, another dangerous free kick from Haughton took a sizeable deflection but fell easily enough into the arms of Daniels.

The visitors ended the first half well with Tom Hopper and Conor Townsend’s menacing crosses cleared by Fleetwood’s captain, Mark Roberts.

Shortly after that George Evans whipped in a dangerous free kick which Scunthorpe’s central defender, Alex Davey headed harmlessly wide.

Then came the Scunthorpe equaliser. McSheffrey was fed the ball by Isaiah Osbourne and he unleashed a powerful strike that rippled into Maxwell’s net.

The home side started the second period well after conceding on 44 minutes and when Proctor stole possession in opposition territory his cross found Evans whose low drive was deflected for a corner.

Scunthorpe fought back though, like they did in the first half, and Paddy Madden showed his striking class as his half-volley from outside the box flew inches wide of the upright.

Graham Alexander rang the changes on 68 minutes and two minutes later his side had the lead again through a curling left-footed effort from Morris which found the top left corner.

Scunthorpe’s second equaliser was a case of ‘anything you can do I can do better’ from Evans whose thunderbolt from 25 yards arrowed into the bottom left corner in a flash and in the blink of an eye, these two teams were level again.

Second half substitute Liam McAlinden came closest after that when he toe-poked Conor McLaughlin’s cross-cum-shot straight into the willing arms of Daniels.

McSheffrey almost added his second as the clock struck 90 but he blazed his effort from the left of the penalty area over.

Four minutes of added time were played, but neither team could find the winning goal and the points were shared.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s